Treat Facial Bone Loss and Gum Recession
Your bones make and reabsorb bone constantly. In the mouth, chewing stimulates the new growth of bone and keeps your jaws healthy. If teeth are missing, the jaw does not receive the stimulation to remain strong and will deteriorate over time. Jaw bone loss is commonly a result of tooth loss, but can also occur due to periodontal (gum) disease, facial trauma, medications, and more.
Many patients can become candidates for dental implants with a bone grafting procedure. Bone and soft tissue grafts can also be a part of a successful facial trauma or tooth extraction treatment. If you have been recommended for a bone or soft tissue graft or need dental implants or any other oral and maxillofacial surgery treatment, contact Napa Sonoma Oral Surgery & Dental Implants for an appointment.
Dr. Tyler Boynton and Dr. Alexander McMahon offer many types of bone and soft tissue grafting treatments in Sonoma and Napa, CA. As highly trained oral surgeons, we offer many anesthesia and sedation options to choose from. Each of our offices are equipped with advanced 3D scanning technology, which leads to more accurate diagnosing and better clinical outcomes.
Types of Bone Grafting
Dental implants are an ideal tooth replacement solution for most patients because they restore the appearance and strength of natural teeth and while preventing jaw bone loss. However, a dental implant can only be successful if there is enough jaw bone to support the implant. A bone grafting procedure can replace and restore the bone that has been lost, allowing more patients to qualify for implant-based tooth restoration.
A bone graft works by applying granulated bone material directly to the desired area(s). The bone material used can be from your own body or sourced from donor tissue. The type of bone grafting procedure you will receive depends on a few factors, such as the location of the missing bone and your overall treatment plan. The types of bone graft treatments we offer include:
- Sinus Lifts. For dental implant patients who require an upper jaw implant, a sinus lift may be recommended. In this procedure, bone material is added to the upper jaw and sinus cavity, located just behind the cheekbones. A sinus lift thickens the bone where the implant will be placed to provide more stability.
- Socket Preservation. If a tooth needs to be extracted, a bone graft can be performed as soon as the tooth has been removed. This will prevent the loss of bone, preserve the shape of the socket, and make future implant placement easier.
- Ridge Expansion. The alveolar ridge surrounds your upper and lower teeth. A bone grafting procedure here can add desired width and/or height to this ridge.
- Major Bone Grafting. If an extensive amount of bone is missing from facial trauma injury, periodontal disease, a facial tumor, or birth defect, a major bone graft procedure may be necessary. This treatment may require overnight stay in a hospital.
- Nerve Repositioning. A dental implant that requires placement near the alveolar ridge may involve repositioning of the nerve to avoid damaging it.
A sinus lift produces more bone in the upper jaw to provide a more solid foundation for dental implants.
Soft Tissue Grafting
In addition to having enough bone, successful dental implant placement requires the right quality and quantity of gum tissue. A soft tissue graft can be performed for patients who have unhealthy or receding gums. This treatment effectively manages periodontal issues by covering exposed tooth roots and leveling out the gum line, resulting in a healthy and more aesthetically pleasing smile. The soft tissue used for grafting is typically harvested from your mouth but can also be sourced from a tissue bank.
Following tooth extraction, socket preservation maintains a socket’s size and shape and makes for easier future implant placement.
Hear From Bone Grafting Patients
These patients can tell you about their firsthand experience undergoing bone grafting at our office.
Reviews From Our Bone Grafting Patients
Nancy Reviews Her Bone Grafting Procedure
"Hello, my name is Nancy, and I live here in Sonoma, and I came to Dr. Boynton here at Sonoma Valley Oral Surgery for an extraction, a sinus lift, and two implants. When I got here, Dr. Boynton made me feel completely comfortable and walked me through the entire procedure. Dr. Boynton is amazing. He is so calming and reassuring and made me feel very much at ease. The staff is amazing. They welcome you in the door and make you feel comfortable from the moment you are here until the moment you leave. My recovery was unbelievable. It was just so easy. I actually received a call from Dr. Boynton later that afternoon, and he checked in on me, and I was doing great. I had no problems. On a scale of one to five, I would give Sonoma Valley Oral Surgery five stars."
A Team Committed to Your Oral Health
We put patient safety and comfort at the forefront of our practice to ensure better oral health outcomes and experiences. Contact us to find out how our trusted team of oral surgery specialists can help you and your loved ones.